When child support is not getting paid

When child support is not getting paid

On Behalf of | May 26, 2018 | Firm News |

As part of your divorce decree, your ex received an order to pay child support to you for your children. He or she may have started out paying monthly as per the terms of the child support order, but months or years down the line, you are no longer getting paid. What can you do?

Did you know that the state of Wyoming offers child support enforcement services? It does this because state officials know and understand how important it is for children to get the financial support they need. How can you access these services?

Getting help

Wyoming put out a child support enforcement booklet that covers the services offered and what you need to do to have your order enforced. As you were already receiving child support, you should already have an account in place with support services. If for some reason you do not, it costs $25 to open one.

If your ex-spouse stopped paying child support, you can file a complaint with support services. You may have to provide financial statements showing that payments have stopped coming in. Once officials determine your ex has stopped paying support, the agency will work to collect payments by any of the following methods:

  • Garnishing wages
  • Reporting the issue to credit agencies
  • Denying passports
  • Intercepting tax refunds
  • Suspending personal and professional licenses
  • Prosecuting the offender through a contempt filing

There are a number of ways to get a non-custodial parent to pay. Do not wait too long before filing a complaint, though, as enforcement options do not necessarily mean you’ll see payments resume right away.

What if I require support modification rather than enforcement?

Enforcement methods may not address certain issues. Seeking a support modification may better serve your specific situation. Modifications are not something that child support services can help you with. If you would rather pursue a support adjustment, this is something you have to do in court. There are no guarantees in child support modification cases. Just because you ask does not mean a judge will ultimately award it.

If you are dealing with a child support issue, such as not receiving your money for whatever the reason, you do have options. Legal counsel can assist you in finding a solution to the problem and help you work to achieve the financial support your children need.